She may be just under a foot tall but she’s always been big in the fashion community. Barbie boasts five decades of fashion heritage, working with more fashion designers than any other brand in the world.
Barbie® has collaborated with more than 75+ different fashion designers and has served as creative inspiration to more than 150+ famous designers.
- The first designer partnership with the Barbie® brand was a collaboration with Oscar de la Renta in the mid-1980s.
- Bob Mackie was the first of many famous designers to collaborate with Barbie® on a collector doll in 1990 (shown here).
- In 2009, Barbie® partnered with Christian Louboutin to unveil a collection of dolls and shoes – the shoes were available in both Barbie-size and life size!
- 50 designers created looks for Barbie® doll’s first-ever runway show at New York Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in 2009.
- Barbie® broke records for the Estée Lauder Companies as the cover model and inspiration for the MAC Cosmetics Spring Collection, “Barbie™ Loves MAC.”
- Barbie® has her very own fine jewelry line designed by Layna and Alan Friedman called Barbie™ Rocks.
- In true Coach fashion, Barbie® got more than one mini-leather bag designed for her.
- In 2014, Sophia Webster designed a line of flats inspired by the fact that Barbie® could now wear them with her articulated ankles.
- Barbie® inspired Jeremy Scott’s Moschino Spring 2015 line and launched an exclusive Moschino Barbie doll.
- Barbie® has been in the likeness of two of the greatest icons even -- Karl Lagerfeld and Andy Warhol.
From Calvin to Cartier, Gucci to Galliano, Versace to Vera, they all have something to say about Barbie:
"Barbie represents a confident and independent woman with an amazing ability to have fun while remaining glamorous." - Diane von Furstenberg
"Barbie has been a cherished fashion phenomenon for five decades, so it was exciting to be able to dress her in one of my signature gowns." - Monique Lhuillier
"It's been my honor to dress some of the most glamorous women in the world and Barbie is certainly among the ultimate 'It' girls!” - Patricia Field
“I started dressing Barbie dolls with my own designs at an early age.” - Anna Sui
"As a little girl, I spent countless hours playing with my Barbie dolls, even designing and sewing one-of-a-kind outfits for the doll. I guess you could say Barbie gave me my start as a designer." - Cynthia Rowley
"The thing I love most about Barbie, is that she is the ultimate muse, she's worn every style and design imaginable and at the same time she's had every possible profession you can dream of." – Jeremy Scott